KOMPAS-3D is a flexible 3D modeling system that allows you to create models by several methods, including the following ones.
- Bottom-up modeling using finished components.
- Top-down modeling by designing components to match specific designs.
- Modeling based on layout drawings, such as kinematic diagrams.
- Or any combination of these modeling methods.
These approaches allow you to create editable associative models easily.
The KOMPAS-3D system has powerful functions
for managing project of thousands of sub-assemblies, parts, and standard library products. It supports all the capabilities of 3D solids and surface modeling that have become the standard among medium-level CAD/CAM programs, including these ones:
- Intuitive creation of new geometry, and importing and manipulation of surfaces.
- Associative settings for element parameters.
- Boolean operators for generating atypically shaped elements; functions include union, intersection, and subtraction.
- Advanced surface and shape modeling for designing complex, ergonomic, and easy to use industrial products; functions include point grids, by network of curves, ruled surfaces, extrusions, lofted surfaces, swept surfaces, and revolutions.
- Construction of auxiliary lines and planes, and spatial curves, including broken lines, splines, and spirals.
- Addition of structural elements, such as chamfers, fillets, holes, stiffness elements, and thin-walled shells.
- Creation of any shape of arrays and assembly components.
- Component modeling with assemblies, with relative positioning of parts in assemblies.
- Constraints for mating assembly components, including automatic constraints for faster assembly creation.
- Special tools to simplify work with large assemblies.
- Flexible parts and assembly editing, including characteristic points.
- Redetermination of the parameters of any element at any design stage causes a reconstruction of the whole model.
- Effective mould design with pattern drafts, joint lines, cavities defined by part shape, and shrinkage allowance.
- Capable sheet metal modeling through sheet body creation, bends, holes, louver, fillets, punching (stamping) and cutting, cap closing, sheet metal unwrapping, and associative drawings of unwrapped sheet metal.
- Inserting standards products into the model from a library, generating user model libraries.
- Efficient collision detection of parts.